Flag
  • Sign In
  • 0 items
  • Search
Welcome Guest! Please login to enable all features.

Notification

Icon
Error

Dragonfly50 Offline
#1 Posted : Monday, June 06, 2011 9:37:35 PM(UTC)
Dragonfly50

Groups: Registered
United States

Was thanked: 1219 time(s) in 728 post(s)
Can I use the layer features to make different designs and then use the Cricut to cut them out? Can I do it all as one or do I need to cut then glue the layers? I have a personal and an expression. I don't have a gypsy, design studio or access to the new program yet.
 1 user thanked Dragonfly50 for this useful post.
Tina M on 8/8/2011(UTC)
♥Carol♥ Offline
#2 Posted : Tuesday, June 07, 2011 12:49:25 AM(UTC)
♥Carol♥

Was thanked: 2764 time(s) in 2201 post(s)
Originally Posted by: dragonfly50 Go to Quoted Post
Can I use the layer features to make different designs and then use the Cricut to cut them out? Can I do it all as one or do I need to cut then glue the layers? I have a personal and an expression. I don't have a gypsy, design studio or access to the new program yet.

I'm not 100% sure of what you are asking ... But, you can use the Cricut markers to draw any image that you can cut with your Cricut, simply by placing a Cricut Marker in the spot that your blade housing unit sits in. ALL cut lines will then be drawn on your paper (or other material), and this includes all the details on the cut.

For example, if you are cutting out a jack-o-lantern, the entire pumpkin, leaves, stems, face, etc. will be drawn, without any cuts. The same would apply to a flower (for example), the entire flower, petals, leaves, stems, etc. would be drawn with out being cut ... however, if you would like layering pieces also, that are normally cut separately from the main cut, they will be drawn separately too.

Using a marker only means that you will be drawing, instead of cutting, your selected images.

HOWEVER, if your question is "can you draw and cut an image" ... then the answer is YES! And you do not need to have a Gypsy, Design Studio, or access to the Cricut CraftRoom to do this. Here are the steps to follow.

1) Insert the marker into your blade housing area.
2) Draw the item that you wish to draw and cut, but do NOT unload or remove the mat from your machine.
3) Push the "load paper" button again (since the mat has not been removed, your paper will be returned to the same starting point)
4) Exchange the marker with the blade housing unit (note, I recommend sliding a small piece of scratch paper under the marker before changing it, as it can easily slip and put an unwanted mark on your mat - but, be sure to remove it before you start cutting)
5) Cut your same image again using the same size/dimensions (note, using the "repeat last" button will be helpful here)

Your images will now be cut and have an outline around them from the markers. Your negative cut will also have an outline too.

Helpful Hint ... you can adjust the thickness of your marker lines somewhat by reducing (for thinner lines), or increasing (for thicker lines) both the pressure and blade depth settings.

One more thought ... if you were asking if you could draw the base feature on your paper, and then cut out some of the layers to add to it, the answer is YES. However, please be sure that you are both drawing and cutting the various pieces using the EXACT same dimensions (using different dimensions will result in the pieces not fitting together properly. Also, be sure your "Real Dial Size" button is NOT pushed (this is important to maintain the appropriate proportions of your cut and all the layers).

I hope this answered your question/s ... if not, please let us know.

Edited by user Tuesday, June 07, 2011 12:56:19 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

6 users thanked ♥Carol♥ for this useful post.
Momtozsm on 6/7/2011(UTC), Dragonfly50 on 6/18/2011(UTC), Elinakc on 6/30/2011(UTC), BHerrington1 on 7/13/2011(UTC), Tina M on 8/8/2011(UTC), KarenMcKenna2 on 8/18/2011(UTC)
Dragonfly50 Offline
#3 Posted : Saturday, June 18, 2011 9:12:31 PM(UTC)
Dragonfly50

United States

Was thanked: 1219 time(s) in 728 post(s)
This answers all of my questions. Thank you Carol. BigGrin
golfingrams986a1173 Offline
#4 Posted : Saturday, April 12, 2014 8:23:29 PM(UTC)
golfingrams986a1173

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 4 post(s)
Great info, thanks Carol.