Flag
  • Sign In
  • 0 items
  • Search
Welcome Guest! Please login to enable all features.

Notification

Icon
Error

CricketCMV Offline
#1 Posted : Monday, December 30, 2013 2:22:06 PM(UTC)
CricketCMV

Medals: Cricut Circle Member: Member of the Cricut Circle

Groups: Registered, Circle Member

Was thanked: 7612 time(s) in 4460 post(s)
I really would like to know if ANYONE out here is thinking about this.

I have curtailed (almost 100%) buying anything CRICUT at this point. WHY? Because, in March or April of this year, Windows XP will no longer have support (I believe this means you will not be able to run anything in Windows XP any longer).

Windows 7 is also going to lose support (a little later; not sure of the dates for that termination, but it isn't far behind XP).

I have seen a lot of Windows 8 users on here saying they CANNOT use CCR with Windows 8. I haven't seen much remedy for that. Windows 8.1 is supposed to fix some problems in Windows 8 that everyone is having problems with; we're all being forced to UPDATE whether or not we want to do so and it will cost $$$.

I am really afraid PC is not keeping up....and, I think that's why they are being so quiet. They have had a lot of sales the past month or so.

Does anyone else out here (how about those of you who are really tech savvy) feel this way? I really refuse to put anymore money into this hobby until I know the truth.

AND, that truth should come directly from PC....and nobody else.

I don't mean to cause a stir; but,I want to know if anyone else is concerned about it? I have a lot of money wrapped up in my CRICUT products and everything that goes with them. I know a lot of you have a lot more wrapped up in it than I do.

I can't be on here all that much for the next month....not to post,anyway, but I'll be watching this thread.

Thanks for honest input...no bashing CRICUT/PC; that's not what this is about. It's about being very cautious spending my money where I shouldn't. I have already done that to an extent; and,I don't want to do it anymore.

Char

Edited by user Tuesday, December 31, 2013 2:23:52 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

2 users thanked CricketCMV for this useful post.
Annabella on 12/30/2013(UTC), MaryScraps on 12/30/2013(UTC)
melodylanedesigns Offline
#2 Posted : Monday, December 30, 2013 2:44:20 PM(UTC)
melodylanedesigns

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 1800 time(s) in 891 post(s)
I would be surprised that CCR works on any computer with windows XP, any computer that old does not have much memory and speed and can not handle most modern programs and internet. I don't think Provo Craft is the only company that is stopping support for Windows xp. A computer is really outdated after 4 years.

I don't think they will stop support for Windows 7 for a very long time. CCR works great with Windows 8.

If someone is feeling forced to update from Windows XP, it's a blessing, go with it.
 1 user thanked melodylanedesigns for this useful post.
CricketCMV on 12/31/2013(UTC)
MaryScraps Online
#3 Posted : Monday, December 30, 2013 3:59:24 PM(UTC)
MaryScraps

United States

Was thanked: 6701 time(s) in 2727 post(s)
Char,

Can I asked where you read this information or heard about it from?
I would like to see this information for myself.

I only have windows xp and windows 7.
Honestly, I'm not going to buy a new computer to use their CCR.
I still have design studio and my gypsy.
That's why I ask for the blue expression for Christmas.
I'm not going to go any further with buying any Cricut products.
I will still use what I have.
I think I have more then enough images to use to scrap what I want to scrap.
I'm not sorry I bought Cricut products. But, I am fed up with things not working right.
If this is true and they are going to stop supporting it.
I think it is because they have a new gypsy or something else in the works.
I won't buy into it b/c I have spent more then enough with this company.
By not supporting CCR with these platforms it is just another gimmick for you to buy their next best thing. I'm happy doing this the old fashion way.BigGrin
There are other ways to scrap book and make cards Cricut isn't the only option.
Just to reiterate I will use my Cricut products that I have.
I will enjoy using them.
I've just decided before this news that I'm not buying anymore Cricut products.

ETA: This would be just another example of why not to buy any more Cricut items.
Why buy it if it is only going to be useable for a year or two.
Because the next best thing will only be good for a year or 2 years.
I want my products supported longer then 2 years.
I understand they have to keep up with the industry.
That is fine for PC. But as a consumer I cannot continue on this path.
I need something that will last the test of time.
The Expression 1 will do that for me.

Edited by user Monday, December 30, 2013 4:27:31 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

1 user thanked MaryScraps for this useful post.
kimJ Offline
#4 Posted : Monday, December 30, 2013 4:12:17 PM(UTC)
kimJ

Was thanked: 98 time(s) in 67 post(s)
WHY? Because, in March or April of this year, Windows XP will no longer have support (I believe this means you will not be able to run anything in Windows XP any longer

Yes, it is true that Microsoft will no longer "support" Windows XP in the spring of 2014, however that doesn't mean that Windows XP will stop functioning. If that is the operating system installed on your computer, you will be able to continue using it...Microsoft just won't continue to offer support. As time goes on, I'm sure XP will become obsolete since I'm sure Microsoft will also discontinue updates to this operating system---however, I would anticipate it continuing to work without issues for some time.
 3 users thanked kimJ for this useful post.
MaryScraps on 12/30/2013(UTC), Annabella on 12/30/2013(UTC), CricketCMV on 12/31/2013(UTC)
MaryScraps Online
#5 Posted : Monday, December 30, 2013 4:28:35 PM(UTC)
MaryScraps

United States

Originally Posted by: kimJ Go to Quoted Post
WHY? Because, in March or April of this year, Windows XP will no longer have support (I believe this means you will not be able to run anything in Windows XP any longer

Yes, it is true that Microsoft will no longer "support" Windows XP in the spring of 2014, however that doesn't mean that Windows XP will stop functioning. If that is the operating system installed on your computer, you will be able to continue using it...Microsoft just won't continue to offer support. As time goes on, I'm sure XP will become obsolete since I'm sure Microsoft will also discontinue updates to this operating system---however, I would anticipate it continuing to work without issues for some time.

Good Point!
Annabella Offline
#6 Posted : Monday, December 30, 2013 4:40:01 PM(UTC)
Annabella

United States

Was thanked: 624 time(s) in 509 post(s)
I just bought a new Expression during the "Black Friday" sales. I now have a brand new machine, a plain-no frill Expression, 8 plus year old machine as a back-up and a 6 year old machine as a back-up to that,

That being said, I know I will be fine to purchase a new cart or two and still use the machines that I have. I truly feel Provo Craft is devoting all there energies on the up and coming machine which I still think they may be announcing at CHA, I may be wrong here.

So, with Windows XP and Windows 7. I have Windows 7, going by the way side I have plenty to use for a long time. I do not want to update my machines unless it is absolutely necessary. I just want to card make and learn to scrap with what I have I understand your feelings, but there really is no reason to worry. You can use what you have for a long time before you will need to purchase a new computer.
 2 users thanked Annabella for this useful post.
MaryScraps on 12/30/2013(UTC), CricketCMV on 12/31/2013(UTC)
sewnmachine Offline
#7 Posted : Monday, December 30, 2013 5:00:12 PM(UTC)
sewnmachine

Groups: Circle Member, Registered

Was thanked: 335 time(s) in 221 post(s)
Microsoft will end support for XP. You will still be able to run the current iteration of CCR on your XP computer.

However - if PC comes out with a brand new CCR platform/program, they will probably begin the compatibility with Windows 7 and go forward from there. It is not effective to go too far back in regards to operating systems because any future enhancements or upgrades would then have to address the lowest common denominator of capability. That could severely limit the functionality of the program.

However, CCR is a very very very simplistic, rudimentary program (by technology standards). Let's face it - an Adobe Photoshop it ain't. And the simple functions of re-sizing or welding images was conquered long ago. Shoot,...... my 11 year old machine embroidery program [Embird] still has more capability then CCR.

But aside from all of that - - - - I too am at the place where I'm beginning to wonder what ProvoCraft's plans are for the future. And I'm also wondering if they have the means or motivation to even try to upgrade or compete with the competition. I would love to read "hints" being dropped about some new machines or tablets that are forthcoming. That would at least give us a feeling that they are "still in the game".

I have virtually every cartridge I want. I have the machines I want. My plan is to use them as "stand alone" machines until every last one of them dies a natural death. I won't buy anything digital because right now I just don't have enough faith in PC's future. There very best products were the Gypsy and the Expression. The Gypsy is dead. Can the Expression be far behind?

We'll see.

3 users thanked sewnmachine for this useful post.
MaryScraps on 12/30/2013(UTC), theproc0a14c052 on 12/31/2013(UTC), CricketCMV on 12/31/2013(UTC)
MaryStillman Offline
#8 Posted : Monday, December 30, 2013 6:41:55 PM(UTC)
MaryStillman

Was thanked: 1210 time(s) in 763 post(s)
Since CCR is spotty for me, I rarely use it, just if I'm creating something and want to share the CCR file with others.

I have purchased both the cartridge and digital when the things have been on a super sale. When a new cart comes out, it really helps that no one is posting images of what they have created with the new cart as that does help to keep me from purchasing it.

I will continue to use DS with the little original I have (when I finally unbox it), on a computer I have with Windows XP that is not connected to the internet. I'll also continue to use the gypsy with the mini I have. When the gypsy fails, I'll probably try and get it fixed. When I cannot use the gypsy any longer and PC does not have either a totally cloud based program (nothing installed on my computer) or totally desktop based (not requiring an internet connection), I'll probably de-cricut.

The new machine would have to be fantastic with a way to design my own images. When I say that I mean things like making swing cards....a cart with drawing tools, that can cut open ended designs. Otherwise, I see no reason to get a new cricut machine.

JMO

Mary

Not to harp on it, but the boards have become so slow. I know I can post, but I really don't have much to say. Although I hate argument posts, sometimes I even wish for that.LOL LOL That makes me wonder if other folks are also de-circuiting.

Edited by user Monday, December 30, 2013 6:44:36 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

1 user thanked MaryStillman for this useful post.
ellamap Offline
#9 Posted : Monday, December 30, 2013 6:58:26 PM(UTC)
ellamap

Was thanked: 363 time(s) in 197 post(s)
Since this topic is pretty much about Microsoft not supporting it's program any longer, why aren't these posts on their forum? Whenever PC announces it isn't going to support an older product the boards here light up. Yet no one seems upset that Microsoft is doing it with XP.
 2 users thanked ellamap for this useful post.
Scootingranny on 12/30/2013(UTC), CricketCMV on 12/31/2013(UTC)
MaryStillman Offline
#10 Posted : Monday, December 30, 2013 8:34:10 PM(UTC)
MaryStillman

Was thanked: 1210 time(s) in 763 post(s)
Originally Posted by: ellamap Go to Quoted Post
Since this topic is pretty much about Microsoft not supporting it's program any longer, why aren't these posts on their forum? Whenever PC announces it isn't going to support an older product the boards here light up. Yet no one seems upset that Microsoft is doing it with XP.

Although that is a good point, there are users that have not been able to use CCR with Windows 8. Also some Mac users cannot use it either. For that reason, people will post to see if others have a solution. If you go to the CCR forum, you'll find many posts of people having problems using CCR with their operating system. Finding help on Cricut is probably going to get you the best help.

I have Windows 7 and CCR does not weld as it should for me. Char has given me some great pointers on that, even though nothing has helped....I think it's my internet connection losing its connection for a second.

Char is just expressing her opinion, and as you can read, some people did jump in and give her helpful advice that it is Microsoft that will not support Windows XP in the spring of 2014. She was also asking for some techie opinions. She seemed to really be looking for opinions and solutions.

I really appreciate people posting their problems as those that have found a solution are usually quick to post.

And I also appreciate your pointing out that some problems just will not be solved because Microsoft is not supporting the older operating system, so most likely there will not be a PC solution. I think someone else pointed that out as well.

I think all well thought out input is appreciated and helpful to someone having problems.

JMO

Mary
 1 user thanked MaryStillman for this useful post.
MaryScraps Online
#11 Posted : Monday, December 30, 2013 8:39:04 PM(UTC)
MaryScraps

United States

This posts belongs on Cricut MB. Because the concern, to my understanding, is if Microsoft isn't going to support windows xp and later windows 7 how will this affect those of us that use CCR.
At some point you would think CCR would be updated where it would no longer function with these windows platforms. Char asked how it would change the way we use our Cricut Machines and software.
And would we continue to invest in different machines to go with the change.
I think it's a good question. If CCR was computer based software then we wouldn't have to wonder about the what if's. But when your relying to use this software over the internet then it's a different story.

I personally am not going to give it another thought. It isn't a concern of mine.
I will just use my machines as stand alone or with my Gypsy.

Char, I guess you will have to come to a decision when or if you get to that point of not being able to use CCR. Until then I wouldn't worry about it.
Leanner Offline
#12 Posted : Monday, December 30, 2013 10:31:14 PM(UTC)
Leanner

Was thanked: 1487 time(s) in 1096 post(s)
I use CCR on both windows 7 professional and Windows 8 with no issues. I recently upgraded to 8.1 and it still is working.
 1 user thanked Leanner for this useful post.
MaryScraps Online
#13 Posted : Tuesday, December 31, 2013 4:30:35 AM(UTC)
MaryScraps

United States

Here are some facts and links to the information from Microsoft.
I like facts.

Windows 7 will be supported until 2020 with the service pack updates.

Windows 7

Windows XP will be supported until April 2014.

End Of Support what this means for you

Windows xp

A Windows operating system is supported for 5 years.
Then with service packs it is supported another 5 years.

Microsoft Fact Sheet For Windows Operating Systems

Edited by user Tuesday, December 31, 2013 4:39:21 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

MissAnn Offline
#14 Posted : Tuesday, December 31, 2013 6:49:50 AM(UTC)
MissAnn

United States

Was thanked: 395 time(s) in 302 post(s)
I am a Cricut girl! I love carts, however, I only buy what I love and have plenty of items I know I will use for layouts and cards. At first I could not use CCR because I didn't have a computer in my scrapbook room. Later I started taking my laptop to my room but it was such a chore. So I never joined CCR. So, machines and carts are in my world to stay. My Gypsy has not been updated for about 3 years. Why? Because everyone was having so many problems I was just afraid. I also have not added any new carts to my Gypsy either. However, I am happy to use my machines and Gypsy as is.
I also have backups as I didn't want to not have a machine at all. Two Expressions, 1 Expression 2, 1 Imagine (still works) and about I would guess right now 75-80 carts. I know they have hundreds of carts and right now there are about 5 I want, but always wait until they are around $25 or less. Once Michaels had a BIG sale on carts for $10.00! I came home with about 5 maybe 6! Wanted more, but thought I would just wait. I am now retired from teaching and just watch my spending. I have been on this board for years and have seen a lot happen, a lot of people left and it just has changed so much. But I still love coming on, I still love Cricut, and I don't see changing machines from another company. I will say I am excited about the new machine that MAY be coming out. I had to stop responding because my IPad and laptop would not show the entire page so I couldn't even read an entire massage. But my husband fixed it and now I am back! I have so missed being here!
 1 user thanked MissAnn for this useful post.
GracefulGrammar Offline
#15 Posted : Tuesday, December 31, 2013 10:48:14 AM(UTC)
GracefulGrammar

Was thanked: 1632 time(s) in 750 post(s)
Windows XP was first released to computer manufacturers on August 24, 2001 and October 25, 2001 to retail buyers....... MS has supported the operating system far beyond the norm......... Most XP computers can't run today's software versions in a manner considered acceptable by users and software manufacturers due lack of ram, lack of processing power and lack of hard drive storage space. XP will not cease to run in April.......there is no need to alarm users but there will be no more security updates, making an XP computer impractical for Internet use.

Here is a link to the Windows Life Cycle Fact Sheet from Microsoft, I have included the last date MS will offer extended support to the 3 current MS operating systems.

http://windows.microsoft...en-us/windows/lifecycle

Windows Vista ~ April 11, 2017
Windows 7 ~ January 14, 2020
Windows 8 ~ January 10, 2023

Provo Craft is not listed as being a registered attendee at CHA 2014.

My concerns about PC capabilities to keep current with today's technological standards and demands dates back to the release of Design Studio. With every product, most empathized by the problems with the Imagine and Gypsy and CCR and linking gypsy-linked carts, it has only become more evident to me that PC can't hold its own in today's technology world. I feel PC discontinues products rather than meet commitments to users concerning how products will perform out of the box.

I am not concerned about PC's future........ I will use my PC stuff when it fits the project...... when it breaks or is no long useful, I will send it to the landfill. I have never depended on PC as my only or main crafting tool. I don't consider PC stuff a long-term or even short-term investment... I can't, given the number of items that have been discontinued before machines operated as promised.

If Message Board participation is any indicator of user concern with PC or its products, than I have to say most us aren't concerned and people moved on long ago......

Edited by user Tuesday, December 31, 2013 11:13:02 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

1 user thanked GracefulGrammar for this useful post.
CricutGena Offline
#16 Posted : Tuesday, December 31, 2013 11:08:31 AM(UTC)
CricutGena

Groups: Registered, Circle Member, Circle Moderator, Cricut Community Moderator

Was thanked: 972 time(s) in 309 post(s)
Hello all, I just wanted to stop in and try to ease some minds.

First of all, Windows XP is compatible with the Craft Room. As was mentioned, most XP computer are old and may have their own issues working with Craft Room. However, if the computer and internet requirements are met there should be no issues in continuing using the program regardless of the lack of continued support from Microsoft.

Additionally, the Windows Vista computers work great with Craft Room.

Windows 7 is the next version of Windows Operating Systems. This version is also compatible with Craft Room and there are no issues involving Windows 7 and Craft Room compatibility.

Window 8 and Windows 8.1 are likewise compatible with Craft Room.

Mac computers and their associated operating systems are also supported and work with Craft Room.

If any of you have any questions that need addressed by our wonderful customer service agents, please call 877-7cricut. We are happy to assist you!

Cricut is an innovative company, we are also a consumer based company. We look at the market as a whole to see where to best put our resources to improve the quality and availability of our products. We can not and will not discuss any future product until they are released to the public. For the best and most up to date information we do advise subscribing to our emailed news letter. You can do this by entering your email in the box at the bottom of the home page.

Cricut hopes that you all have a happy and prosperous New Year!

-Cricut Gena
 3 users thanked CricutGena for this useful post.
CricketCMV on 12/31/2013(UTC), MaryScraps on 12/31/2013(UTC), JoyceG on 1/2/2014(UTC)
sewnmachine Offline
#17 Posted : Tuesday, December 31, 2013 12:03:42 PM(UTC)
sewnmachine

Was thanked: 335 time(s) in 221 post(s)
OH. Well, now that really clears things up. CCR works with all operating systems - and - ProvoCraft is a consumer based business. Now I can't wait until the next newsletter comes out! It's sure to be filled with more nuggets of tantalizing information.

(thanks anyway Gina for reading the boards).

Everybody have a crafty New Year!
 1 user thanked sewnmachine for this useful post.
MaryScraps on 12/31/2013(UTC)
Olivia'sNana Offline
#18 Posted : Tuesday, December 31, 2013 1:11:58 PM(UTC)
Olivia'sNana

Was thanked: 789 time(s) in 357 post(s)
Originally Posted by: CricutGena Go to Quoted Post
For the best and most up to date information we do advise subscribing to our emailed news letter. You can do this by entering your email in the box at the bottom of the home page.

-Cricut Gena

Cricut Gena,

I did this and it said my email was already there. I have not received an email newsletter in I can't even tell you how long. I didn't know they even still existed. So how do I get it coming again.

CricketCMV Offline
#19 Posted : Tuesday, December 31, 2013 1:20:16 PM(UTC)
CricketCMV

Originally Posted by: melodylanedesigns Go to Quoted Post
I would be surprised that CCR works on any computer with windows XP, any computer that old does not have much memory and speed and can not handle most modern programs and internet. I don't think Provo Craft is the only company that is stopping support for Windows xp. A computer is really outdated after 4 years.

I don't think they will stop support for Windows 7 for a very long time. CCR works great with Windows 8.

If someone is feeling forced to update from Windows XP, it's a blessing, go with it.

Melody....I have used my Expression on a ten-year-old Windows XP since CCR started. It works perfectly. I can see ProvoCraft (PC) being more with XP and with Windows 7. Windows XP was a pretty GOOD Operating System (OS) when it came out. The next OS (Vista) was horrible, for many. Now some liked it, but many did not and it had a lot of problems that XP didn't have. Windows 7 has been good, too....so, I can see PC using these two OSs. I'm glad to hear that CCR works great with Windows 8 (for you), but I haven't seen or heard that Windows 8 works that great for quite a few on here. Do you have it set to be compatible with Windows 7? (Just curious).

Anyway, CCR has worked great for me with my old Windows XP.....a computer that had crashed on me before I started using CCR on it. After it crashed, we decided to buy a new one (since ours was already eight years old at that time...ten years old now). It even had some problems since when I reinstalled XP, it didn't include SP2 (which was needed to run some programs on my computer). I was hesitant to try to hook up my Expression to it, but it has worked beautifully, as I said.

I will say, though, you're probably right about the older computers and their speed. My old computer used to have 512MB RAM....but, when I installed the OS (after the crash), I found my computer would support 2GB RAM, so I installed new RAM, also. Now, 2GB RAM probably doesn't sound like much, but I don't really used that old computer for much else, and I took a lot of stuff off of it for that reason. However, I can navigate on the web pretty good on it when DH is using our newer one; so, it's not like I can't do more on it.

I use my MINI on my Windows 7....and it works very good, too.

Char

Edited by user Tuesday, December 31, 2013 1:24:35 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

CricketCMV Offline
#20 Posted : Tuesday, December 31, 2013 1:37:07 PM(UTC)
CricketCMV

Originally Posted by: Scrapbooking_Grandma Go to Quoted Post
Char,

Honestly, I'm not going to buy a new computer to use their CCR.

But, I am fed up with things not working right.
If this is true and they are going to stop supporting it.
I think it is because they have a new gypsy or something else in the works.
I won't buy into it b/c I have spent more then enough with this company.
By not supporting CCR with these platforms it is just another gimmick for you to buy their next best thing. I'm happy doing this the old fashion way.BigGrin
There are other ways to scrap book and make cards Cricut isn't the only option.
Just to reiterate I will use my Cricut products that I have.
I will enjoy using them.
I've just decided before this news that I'm not buying anymore Cricut products.

ETA: This would be just another example of why not to buy any more Cricut items.
Why buy it if it is only going to be useable for a year or two.
Because the next best thing will only be good for a year or 2 years.
I want my products supported longer then 2 years.
I understand they have to keep up with the industry.
That is fine for PC. But as a consumer I cannot continue on this path.
I need something that will last the test of time.
The Expression 1 will do that for me.

Mary....I am not saying ProvoCraft/Cricut is not going to support XP or Windows 7. MICROSOFT, the company who produced these Operating Systems (OS) are no longer going to support XP or Windows 7......because, IMHO, THEY want all of us to go out and buy the NEWEST they have!!!

JUST TO CLARIFY, though, a very close friend told me about these two OSs not going to be supported much longer. I haven't had time to RESEARCH this for myself; I was hoping some of our more tech savvy people would come on and help us out with the information.

I also feel strongly (although I know some of you don't feel this way) that ProvoCraft is not the SOLE REASON for a lot of the problems people have in trying to use their CRICUTS. I believe there are many, many factors across the country and outside the country to cause problems with the CRICUTS.....not ProvoCrafts applications. I would even venture to say there are more OUTSIDE CAUSES for the problems! It's not just ProvoCraft....there are so many things going on out in the technical arena....NOBODY can keep up with all of it. I mean, our son was trying to start a new business. By the time he got one thing refined in the computer, the whole picture changed and he has to update everything to make things work for him in his computer. I mean, it's a never-ending rat race, today, and hard to keep up with anything.

I am really excited to see what PC is going to come out with (if anything....wondering if it was only a rumor someone heard or if they really are coming out with something new). If it's supported by the newest Operating Systems (Windows 8; Windows 8.1, ETC.), then I might buy into it. BUT, I will wait and see how it is going for others before I take the plunge.

One area I think PC is totally wrong in introducing is the new layout; simply hate that and I don't even want to buy any newer cartridges from them. I am so happy I came in when I did; because, I'm not happy with where they have gone with that.

JMHO.

Char
CricketCMV Offline
#21 Posted : Tuesday, December 31, 2013 1:40:49 PM(UTC)
CricketCMV

Originally Posted by: kimJ Go to Quoted Post

Kim...what little I do know about this is that we will be able to use XP for a while, but eventually, when you're trying to do some things, you will not be able to do them because the updates have not come through for you to do them. Now, if we're happy just doing the things we do in our old computers, then it probably won't be a problem. I have NORTON, so I do think they will be able to help me out should there be any problems....but, for how long, I have no idea.

Again, I haven't had time to really RESEARCH any of this. I hope you are right, though.

Char
CricketCMV Offline
#22 Posted : Tuesday, December 31, 2013 1:50:20 PM(UTC)
CricketCMV

Originally Posted by: ellamap Go to Quoted Post

This is just my thinking, but I suspect the reason people aren't all that upset about it is:

#1...they don't really understand what is happening.
#2...many are already updated (maybe) since XP has been out for a very long time.

Again, since a friend told me all of this (and, I trusted what she was telling me), I haven't had time to RESEARCH about Windows 7; I had heard for some time that XP was no longer going to be supported by Microsoft, though, so I knew that was definitely true.

I tried to RESEARCH about Windows 7 before I came back here, but my laptop isn't let me go everywhere I want to right now; as soon as I find out anything further, I'll come back and post it. MEANTIME, has ANYONE on here heard Windows 7 may no longer be supported (in the near future)?

Char
CricketCMV Offline
#23 Posted : Tuesday, December 31, 2013 2:01:20 PM(UTC)
CricketCMV

Originally Posted by: MaryStillman Go to Quoted Post
Although that is a good point, there are users that have not been able to use CCR with Windows 8. Also some Mac users cannot use it either. For that reason, people will post to see if others have a solution. If you go to the CCR forum, you'll find many posts of people having problems using CCR with their operating system. Finding help on Cricut is probably going to get you the best help.

I have Windows 7 and CCR does not weld as it should for me. Char has given me some great pointers on that, even though nothing has helped....I think it's my internet connection losing its connection for a second.

Char is just expressing her opinion, and as you can read, some people did jump in and give her helpful advice that it is Microsoft that will not support Windows XP in the spring of 2014. She was also asking for some techie opinions. She seemed to really be looking for opinions and solutions.

I really appreciate people posting their problems as those that have found a solution are usually quick to post.

And I also appreciate your pointing out that some problems just will not be solved because Microsoft is not supporting the older operating system, so most likely there will not be a PC solution. I think someone else pointed that out as well.

I think all well thought out input is appreciated and helpful to someone having problems.

JMO

Mary

Mary....that sweet of you to help me out here. I think ELLA was just trying to point out that noone seems to be very upset about Microsoft discontinuing support of these Operating Systems. Those of us who don't have money to throw at every new innovation that comes out have a right to be frustrated; and, I know we can't really fight any of these decisions that are made in any of these companies. BUT, if they see that some of us are quite concerned, maybe they will step up their programs to keep us going with the older Operating Systems.

I actually was hoping (against hope, as many of us know) that PC would want to come on here and answer something for us.....I mean, wouldn't you think if there is nothing for us to be concerned about, they would come on and tell us? They just sit back and let us try to think it all out for ourselves when they could come on and tell us everything will work just the way it does now.....AND THEN MAYBE WE WOULD FEEL BETTER ABOUT PURCHASING DIGITAL CONTENT and/or machines and/or other cartridges.

It's not that I am overly worried and it will be what it will be; but, I was hoping we could get a definite YES...YOU WILL BE ABLE TO USE THE CRICUTS ON THE OLD OPERATING SYSTEMS....EVEN THOUGH THERE WILL NO LONGER BE UPDATES ON THE OPERATING SYSTEMS (then, will ProvoCraft just quit doing updates and if we already have equipment running on those old platforms....we will be okay)? We can't know this....and, if they do....then, tell us.

Char

CricketCMV Offline
#24 Posted : Tuesday, December 31, 2013 2:07:19 PM(UTC)
CricketCMV

Originally Posted by: Scrapbooking_Grandma Go to Quoted Post
Here are some facts and links to the information from Microsoft.
I like facts.

Windows 7 will be supported until 2020 with the service pack updates.

Windows 7

Windows XP will be supported until April 2014.

End Of Support what this means for you

Windows xp

A Windows operating system is supported for 5 years.
Then with service packs it is supported another 5 years.

Microsoft Fact Sheet For Windows Operating Systems

MARY.....THANKS SO MUCH FOR POSTING THIS. It helps a lot. It sounds like we have NOTHING to worry about...and, I see that Cricut Gena came on, too. I can't wait to see what she has to say.

SORRY, EVERYONE....I should have learned long ago not to post until I READ ALL THE POSTS. This really puts my mind at ease....not that I was overly worried; I was concerned and wondering if I needed to worry.

Char

1 user thanked CricketCMV for this useful post.
MaryScraps on 12/31/2013(UTC)
CricketCMV Offline
#25 Posted : Tuesday, December 31, 2013 2:10:56 PM(UTC)
CricketCMV

Originally Posted by: MissAnn Go to Quoted Post
I am a Cricut girl! I love carts, however, I only buy what I love and have plenty of items I know I will use for layouts and cards. At first I could not use CCR because I didn't have a computer in my scrapbook room. Later I started taking my laptop to my room but it was such a chore. So I never joined CCR. So, machines and carts are in my world to stay. My Gypsy has not been updated for about 3 years. Why? Because everyone was having so many problems I was just afraid. I also have not added any new carts to my Gypsy either. However, I am happy to use my machines and Gypsy as is.
I also have backups as I didn't want to not have a machine at all. Two Expressions, 1 Expression 2, 1 Imagine (still works) and about I would guess right now 75-80 carts. I know they have hundreds of carts and right now there are about 5 I want, but always wait until they are around $25 or less. Once Michaels had a BIG sale on carts for $10.00! I came home with about 5 maybe 6! Wanted more, but thought I would just wait. I am now retired from teaching and just watch my spending. I have been on this board for years and have seen a lot happen, a lot of people left and it just has changed so much. But I still love coming on, I still love Cricut, and I don't see changing machines from another company. I will say I am excited about the new machine that MAY be coming out. I had to stop responding because my IPad and laptop would not show the entire page so I couldn't even read an entire massage. But my husband fixed it and now I am back! I have so missed being here!

MissAnn....would you please let the DAILY MORNING thread know this information...about your IPad and how to see the entire page? I think some on there would really appreciate this; or, start a new thread to tell everyone how your DH resolved this for you? Others are frustrated they can't see a whole thread, too. Thanks in Advance!! I have missed seeing you! And, thanks for your input.

Char
CricketCMV Offline
#26 Posted : Tuesday, December 31, 2013 2:18:56 PM(UTC)
CricketCMV

Originally Posted by: CricutGena Go to Quoted Post
Hello all, I just wanted to stop in and try to ease some minds.

First of all, Windows XP is compatible with the Craft Room. As was mentioned, most XP computer are old and may have their own issues working with Craft Room. However, if the computer and internet requirements are met there should be no issues in continuing using the program regardless of the lack of continued support from Microsoft.

Additionally, the Windows Vista computers work great with Craft Room.

Windows 7 is the next version of Windows Operating Systems. This version is also compatible with Craft Room and there are no issues involving Windows 7 and Craft Room compatibility.

Window 8 and Windows 8.1 are likewise compatible with Craft Room.

Mac computers and their associated operating systems are also supported and work with Craft Room.

If any of you have any questions that need addressed by our wonderful customer service agents, please call 877-7cricut. We are happy to assist you!

Cricut is an innovative company, we are also a consumer based company. We look at the market as a whole to see where to best put our resources to improve the quality and availability of our products. We can not and will not discuss any future product until they are released to the public. For the best and most up to date information we do advise subscribing to our emailed news letter. You can do this by entering your email in the box at the bottom of the home page.

Cricut hopes that you all have a happy and prosperous New Year!

-Cricut Gena

THANK YOU SO MUCH, Cricut Gena, for coming here to post on this thread. YOU HAVE CERTAINLY PUT MY MIND AT EASE; I APPRECIATE YOUR COMING HERE TO TELL US THIS INFORMATION.

I had NO IDEA we could subscribe to an emailed newsletter. I had never see that information here. Thanks for mentioning it.

I feel I can keep having as much fun as I have the past few years in CCR (despite the fact I am using old computers and old Operating Systems with my CRICUTS). You have definitely put my mind at ease.

HAPPY NEW YEAR....we are all anxiously waiting to see what PC will do next...even if we have only heard rumors. We are ANXIOUS.

Char

MaryScraps Online
#27 Posted : Tuesday, December 31, 2013 4:26:58 PM(UTC)
MaryScraps

United States

Originally Posted by: CricketCMV Go to Quoted Post
Mary....I am not saying ProvoCraft/Cricut is not going to support XP or Windows 7. MICROSOFT, the company who produced these Operating Systems (OS) are no longer going to support XP or Windows 7......because, IMHO, THEY want all of us to go out and buy the NEWEST they have!!!

JUST TO CLARIFY, though, a very close friend told me about these two OSs not going to be supported much longer. I haven't had time to RESEARCH this for myself; I was hoping some of our more tech savvy people would come on and help us out with the information.

I also feel strongly (although I know some of you don't feel this way) that ProvoCraft is not the SOLE REASON for a lot of the problems people have in trying to use their CRICUTS. I believe there are many, many factors across the country and outside the country to cause problems with the CRICUTS.....not ProvoCrafts applications. I would even venture to say there are more OUTSIDE CAUSES for the problems! It's not just ProvoCraft....there are so many things going on out in the technical arena....NOBODY can keep up with all of it. I mean, our son was trying to start a new business. By the time he got one thing refined in the computer, the whole picture changed and he has to update everything to make things work for him in his computer. I mean, it's a never-ending rat race, today, and hard to keep up with anything.

I am really excited to see what PC is going to come out with (if anything....wondering if it was only a rumor someone heard or if they really are coming out with something new). If it's supported by the newest Operating Systems (Windows 8; Windows 8.1, ETC.), then I might buy into it. BUT, I will wait and see how it is going for others before I take the plunge.

One area I think PC is totally wrong in introducing is the new layout; simply hate that and I don't even want to buy any newer cartridges from them. I am so happy I came in when I did; because, I'm not happy with where they have gone with that.

JMHO.

Char

I know you meant that Microsoft wasn't going to support Windows XP Or Windows 7.
I responded to the comment you made about not buying Cricut Products because of Microsoft discontinuing support for their OS. Windows 7 will be supported until January 2020.
So there was no reason to worry about it.
MaryScraps Online
#28 Posted : Tuesday, December 31, 2013 4:28:47 PM(UTC)
MaryScraps

United States

Originally Posted by: CricketCMV Go to Quoted Post
MARY.....THANKS SO MUCH FOR POSTING THIS. It helps a lot. It sounds like we have NOTHING to worry about...and, I see that Cricut Gena came on, too. I can't wait to see what she has to say.

SORRY, EVERYONE....I should have learned long ago not to post until I READ ALL THE POSTS. This really puts my mind at ease....not that I was overly worried; I was concerned and wondering if I needed to worry.

Char

Your welcome! I'm glad the links helped you to better understand what is going on.