Flag
  • Sign In
  • 0 items
  • Search
Welcome Guest! Please login to enable all features.

Notification

Icon
Error

3 Pages<123>
CindyS. Offline
#31 Posted : Wednesday, September 29, 2010 8:41:29 PM(UTC)
CindyS.

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)
JeanneLee wrote:
Time is flying by...

We had our first field trip of the school year. We went with friends up to Ft McHenry in Baltimore for a private tour with a friend of ours from church. He is a volunteer ranger at the park. It was fabulous...even our two sons got to participate in the flag change.
Here they are unfurling the flag they will hang and the next shot is of the flag flying over the fort.

JeanneLee, we had a blast at Ft. McHenry! My family loves places like this!

Cindy
Scraprageous Offline
#32 Posted : Thursday, September 30, 2010 5:56:10 AM(UTC)
Scraprageous

United States

Was thanked: 139 time(s) in 136 post(s)
Jeanne Lee - I found the Pikachu avatar and youngest ds thought it was great, so I went with it. After all these years of hearing about Pikachu, I kind of like the little rodent. LOL

No - we aren't in that area - we are in the Midwest. Two boys attended the Boy Scout Jamboree, but since it was so far to travel, they were able to spend just shy of a week visiting museums and such. Some of the other AFB pictures are from Colorado - another son went the direction of Philmont and did some sight seeing on the way and Dd - not to be left out, went North BigGrin.

I keep hearing how much easier it gets when they get older, and for some things, it does (no diapers, they can tell you what is wrong, etc.). However, keeping track of all of them, keeping supplies for their 'projects' not to mention keeping up with feeding them BigGrin BigGrin BigGrin hasn't decreased on this end yet.

Any other moms of older home school kids run into similar things? The whole food thing goes with any teenagers, I know - just re-adjusting menu sizes again Drool Laugh

On the plus side - I am learning about forensics, astronomy and revisiting some courses that I took, but forgot everything I learned. Kind of cool with high school kids.

Edited by user Thursday, September 30, 2010 5:57:42 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Momto3kids Offline
#33 Posted : Thursday, September 30, 2010 7:32:42 AM(UTC)
Momto3kids

Was thanked: 598 time(s) in 231 post(s)
I am a HS Mom, and have been for 9 years. We started out kinda rough from the summer break, but we are getting back into the swing of things. I hope you all have a wonderful school year!

Edited by user Thursday, September 30, 2010 7:33:40 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

KTinKT Offline
#34 Posted : Thursday, September 30, 2010 7:35:19 AM(UTC)
KTinKT

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
HI, I have been home schooling for 20 years now, most of that time wile living in West Africa. We recently moved to Texas. 2 of my children are grown and through college, 2 are in college right now and I still have a 10 year old at home. I would love to know how others use their cricut for home school purposes. I have not as yet, but my son loves to join me in making cards.

Kim
dansgg Offline
#35 Posted : Thursday, September 30, 2010 2:00:58 PM(UTC)
dansgg

Was thanked: 270 time(s) in 228 post(s)
I was just checking in on this forum again. As soon as I finish a piece of canvas art I'm working on (I've been working on it for a WEEK) and one other small project, I am going to work on a flash card type project for Erin & something to go with the Jesse book we are rowing with B4FIAR.

Let's all make a point to stay in touch here. We are all so blessed to have the option to homeschool & I know we can all enhance each other's experiences.

Elizabeth
Sandi Offline
#36 Posted : Thursday, September 30, 2010 11:03:43 PM(UTC)
Sandi

Hi! I homeschool my DS, who is in 10th grade and my DD, who is in 7th grade. Even though we have our rough days, it's worth to be are part of their learning. I love the flexibility we have with our schedule and the opportunities that we have been able to experience as a result. Haven't use my Cricut a lot for school, but I use it quite a bit for church. Best wishes for a great school year even when it gets a little rough along the way!Laugh
Soapsfan Offline
#37 Posted : Sunday, October 03, 2010 11:39:00 AM(UTC)
Soapsfan

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 3 post(s)
Hi everyone! I was happy to see a homeschoolers section. I have a 9th and 12th grader this year. We started in mid August but took a week off when both of them had their wisdom teeth out. I am anxious to use my cricut for school more this year. I wish I had it when they were younger.
ScrappinFaith Offline
#38 Posted : Sunday, October 10, 2010 9:41:19 AM(UTC)
ScrappinFaith

Hi everyone!! I have an almost 4 year old DD and an 11 month DS. I am pretty new to the message board, I have been signed up for awhile but never used it until now. I am seriously considering HSing my children but still have tons of questions....BigGrin
What different curriculum does everyone use?
How is your space set up for HSing??
What are the pros and cons of year round as opposed to school year??

Thank you everybody!! I am sure I will have tons more questionsFlapper
mjosburn Offline
#39 Posted : Monday, October 18, 2010 10:34:09 AM(UTC)
mjosburn

Was thanked: 6 time(s) in 5 post(s)
We started our school year at the beginning of August. My daughters are in 2nd & 3rd grade. For the most part, things have been pretty good. We'll see how tomorrow goes. We're on the last day of a 4 day weekend for my older daughter's birthday. They might be hard to reel in after that many days off & cake tonight! Laugh
Scraprageous Offline
#40 Posted : Monday, October 18, 2010 11:57:18 AM(UTC)
Scraprageous

United States

Our home schooling space varies by child Laugh

Still at home:
12th grade - has a roll top desk in room - prefers to do all but lab work in her room with music playing low and her coffee beside her.

9th grader - prefers couch and kitchen table (except science - that is the only subject with a set area in our house anymore)

8th grader - reads downstairs, tv tray table for math, drawing boards for art, astronomy is outside quite often, so he keeps most of his supplies in an old briefcase and takes them with him wherever he feels like studying that day.

When they were younger, I had some old school desks they liked to use and they gave us a nice spot to store their markers and crayons and all.

In the spring - kids are outside in trees and barns as much as possible. Ok by me as long as work gets completed.
scrapnfan Offline
#41 Posted : Monday, October 18, 2010 12:22:41 PM(UTC)
scrapnfan

Was thanked: 251 time(s) in 215 post(s)
School is going. My oldest that is in 7th is doing great but life keeps challenging with the younger 2 in Kindergarten. I love Abeka though and I know we'll eventually make it ! I do find it hard to keep up with meals, my husband's special diet, keeping up the house, having all the company I'm expected to have and not feeling like I'm loosing my head most days ! How do all the rest of you do it ? I noticed KT2 said she'd been in West Africa. I was there for years growing up. I'd love to have you PM me sometime and tell me where and what you did there !
Scraprageous Offline
#42 Posted : Monday, October 18, 2010 12:55:25 PM(UTC)
Scraprageous

United States

1. I don't know your special dietary concerns, so I don't know if the food part will help or not. However, a few tips: I often try to make double batches of meals so I can freeze one for later. Often, these frozen meals end up as last minute lunches. Another thing - label leftovers into single serving size re-heatable containers. Some days it is easiest to have Choice lunches - go into freezer, pick out something you want and heat it in the microwave.

2. have kids help with cooking - even a 5 year old can be taught how to help scramble eggs, make french toast, pancakes and hamburgers with guidance (aka adult in kitchen with them). Their smiles of accomplishment are worth the time.

3. Simple meal. Wednesday nights (church nights) are really easy - canned soup, heated with either grilled cheese or biscuits and a salad if time. After church, ice cream and toppings. Way fun and extremely easy

4. Crockpots!!!!! 4 nights of the week minimum (usually Sunday, Monday, Tuesday and Thursday)
Day one - Whole chicken
Day two - Chicken casserole
Day three - Roast beef
Day four - Beef Stew
Day five - Pizza night (sometimes frozen, sometimes purchased, sometimes home made)
Day six - one dish meal (taco's, spagetti, cheeseburger macaroni, beef and rice, mac and cheese, creamed chip beef on toast, etc.)
Day seven - soup/biscuts

Lunches are either leftovers, pbj and ramen noodles, or one pot meals.

Breakfasts (except cold cereal Mondays - they are even sugar cold cereals because I need that extra time) are large compared to their friends, but still relatively simple - eggs/sausage with fruit and toast, pancakes or waffles with meat and fruit, toast and yogurt, omelets and oatmeal, egg casseroles, etc.. All but oatmeal and toast can be made ahead and frozen for quick breakfasts.

As the kids have gotten older, they do more cooking. Dh is really great about pitching in as well as he knows some days are not good ones and I may still be at the table working with a child. Then he doesn't mind frozen pizza or making some instant potatoes because I forgot to put real ones in the crock pot Laugh

Company - dh understands that whoever comes gets us as we are. We try to be neat, but no promises when last minute deals.

House - I haven't dusted since I can't remember when. Mom came for a visit once when oldest kids were 3 and 4 - she got them feather dusters and such. They enjoy dusting and younger ones like the tools too. They also love windex and paper towels. One son loves to vacuum and is neat freak anyway so I let him run with it. I accept what they can offer and keep on going - the 4 areas I am picky about (computer areas, laundry room, bathrooms and keeping kitchen cupboards neat and organized) took some time, but all kids are trained in on how I expect things kept in those locations.

Trinity Offline
#43 Posted : Tuesday, November 02, 2010 9:16:00 PM(UTC)
Trinity

United States

Was thanked: 1192 time(s) in 594 post(s)
Oh WOW I didn't even know that this part of the board was here!!! I to homeschool my to kids a 6 yr. old DD that's in 1st and a 11yr. old DS that's in 5th grade. This is my 1st year doing the homeschooling and so far so good. We tried the public school thing and I just couldn't send them there anymore. We started our year on Sept. 1st and we've been at it for about 2 months now. I'm haveing to do alot of catch up with my DS but I think that I got my DD out just in time before she got behind to. We use a combo of things to school with. The main one we do is Time4Learning on the computer then we do Horizons with my DS and for my DD we use diff. w/b's and stuff that I find off the computer along with Time4Learing also. I have discovered an awsome store called Mardels that has all sorts of homeschooling things and other educational items also and if you don't have one near you, you can go online to look also. I am so glad that I roamed around enough to see this post. BigGrin
dancingarden (Michele) Offline
#44 Posted : Tuesday, November 30, 2010 2:16:26 PM(UTC)
dancingarden (Michele)

Medals: Cricut Circle Member: Member of the Cricut Circle

Groups: Registered, Circle Member
United States

Was thanked: 4793 time(s) in 1240 post(s)
I am glad to see a homeschool section on the board! My son is 4 so we aren't doing anything formal yet. We don't have to do anything with the state till he's 7, so there's no rush here.

I don't plan to worry about a school "year" though, as I feel learning happens 24/7/365. However, I have bought several cricut cartridges with the intent to use them for learning! lol
dansgg Offline
#45 Posted : Wednesday, December 01, 2010 8:41:44 PM(UTC)
dansgg

Was thanked: 270 time(s) in 228 post(s)
dancingarden wrote:
I am glad to see a homeschool section on the board! My son is 4 so we aren't doing anything formal yet. We don't have to do anything with the state till he's 7, so there's no rush here.

I don't plan to worry about a school "year" though, as I feel learning happens 24/7/365. However, I have bought several cricut cartridges with the intent to use them for learning! lol

Pretty much the same situation here. I have a three year old. We're enjoying learning in our environment -- hoping not to cave in to the whole curriculum school of thought.

What cartridges have you bought to use for your little one? Do you know about Five-in-a-Row and Before-Five-in-a-Row??/
#46 Posted : Tuesday, December 07, 2010 11:50:44 AM(UTC)
dancingarden (Michele)

United States

I had not heard of 5 in a row but I went and looked it up, thanks!

There are a lot of cartridges that are useful! My son LOVES my cricut and asks every day to cut something. I know I could find something on just about all the cartridges to use for homeschooling, but the ones I bought specifically with homeschool in mind are Wildlife, 50 States, My World and My Community and Dinosaur Tracks. :)
#47 Posted : Sunday, December 12, 2010 10:47:30 AM(UTC)
dancingarden (Michele)

United States

Joanns had A Word Party cart on sale for 25, though I probably could have gotten it cheaper on ebay, it was RIGHT THERE and it was one I didn't own yet... so I bought it. purely because it would be fun to use for homeschooling. LOL
MissScrapAlot Offline
#48 Posted : Monday, December 13, 2010 11:42:01 AM(UTC)
MissScrapAlot

Was thanked: 67 time(s) in 52 post(s)
I asked for somehelp when the new board was up but dont remember getting any :) I am hoping to homeschool our 4th child since I am now home due to health issues but have no idea how or where to start??? We are in the Tri-Cities (Pasco) Washington State and I would love any help in how to start, where to get all the info and what to start with :) I really really need help please :) our 3 children are grown and moved out but we now have since adopted and she will be 5 on Jan 1st (had her since 6 weeks) and she is dying to go to school but wont for another year,, I believe! Anyhoo help please :)))))))

Hugs and Loves
Anne
#49 Posted : Tuesday, December 14, 2010 11:33:10 AM(UTC)
dancingarden (Michele)

United States

hey Anne,

I don't know much about homeschooling yet, and nothing about the state you live in. What you really need to do I think is find out the requirements for your state, then find local resources for the city/school district where you live. You can contact your school district to find out if they know of homeschool groups and other resources where you live.

Try:

http://www.time4learning...homeschooling_info.shtml

I was lucky in that I had a bunch of homeschooling friends before I even had a kid. We have an email list for local HS families and get together usually once a week for the kids to play and us parents to network and chat. You'll need to look around locally for that kind of thing too.
MissScrapAlot Offline
#50 Posted : Tuesday, December 14, 2010 1:09:43 PM(UTC)
MissScrapAlot

Was thanked: 67 time(s) in 52 post(s)
DancingGarden thank you very much for taking the time to help me out.......I really appreciate it :)))))

I will def go look :)!!!!

Hugs and Loves,
Anne
Moe Offline
#51 Posted : Saturday, January 08, 2011 1:33:29 PM(UTC)
Moe

Check out Lee Binz, she has a blog about high school homeschooling, but I am sure she could get you some resources, I think she is in WA state.

Moe
Scraprageous Offline
#52 Posted : Saturday, January 08, 2011 2:02:57 PM(UTC)
Scraprageous

United States

another site to check - it has links for nationwide resources as well as all the legal stuff (that varies greatly state to state)

HSLDA - http://www.hslda.org/

They have tons of resources and is where I go to download my state forms each year. Our state requires a specific form each year stating that we are homeschooling - I know other states are different.
rockinmommy Offline
#53 Posted : Tuesday, February 22, 2011 8:02:10 PM(UTC)
rockinmommy

I am a 25 year old homeschooling mom of 3 kids. I have 2 daughters ages 5 1/2 and 4, and a son who is 2 1/2. We live is southeast alabama. =)
AJsTooCuteGirls Offline
#54 Posted : Thursday, March 03, 2011 2:21:10 PM(UTC)
AJsTooCuteGirls

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Hi! I was happy to find some other homeschooling mommas here! I have 2 little girls who are 7 and almost 4. This is our second year of "official" homeschooling. I am so excited to start using my expression for school projects!

:)AJ
busymom19 Offline
#55 Posted : Monday, June 20, 2011 10:12:20 AM(UTC)
busymom19

Was thanked: 9 time(s) in 4 post(s)
I am a homeschool mom of 2 boys. One will be in 11th and one will be in 6th this fall. We have homeschooled from the start. My boys love the Cricut too. They do cards which my younger one loves to do if he can use it to get out of handwriting for the day! He uses the excuse that he has to use handwriting in the card, so it should count for school. :)
I also run a co-op for the curriculum I use, Tapestry of Grace. We use the Cricut for display boards and have used it to decorate rain sticks we've made.

Edited by user Monday, June 20, 2011 10:13:30 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

1 user thanked busymom19 for this useful post.
garagesaler on 6/20/2011(UTC)
mhjudge67 Offline
#56 Posted : Monday, June 20, 2011 10:16:19 AM(UTC)
mhjudge67

Was thanked: 59 time(s) in 49 post(s)
I have to check this post out when I get home for work, but can someone direct me where I can get information reagarding home schooling?

Thank you
HappeScrapn Offline
#57 Posted : Thursday, June 23, 2011 9:55:26 AM(UTC)
HappeScrapn

Hello Everyone!

I am looking forward to Homeschooling our two daughters Madison - 9 - Fourth Grade and Montana - 7 - Second Grade. I have been scrapbooking for 7 years or so and love my Cricut. I have had a hard time keeping up after having two back surgeries and I am hoping to get back to scrap'n soon! Unfortunately, my two favorite hobbies, Horseback riding and Scrapbooking and not the best hobbies for someone recovering from Major Back Surgeries! uggg.

I look forward to see you all here and to get ideas you may have both as Homeschooling mom and as crafters.

Have a Blessed Day!
Tara
from Virginia
busymom19 Offline
#58 Posted : Thursday, December 29, 2011 12:13:24 PM(UTC)
busymom19

Was thanked: 9 time(s) in 4 post(s)
Originally Posted by: mhjudge67 Go to Quoted Post
I have to check this post out when I get home for work, but can someone direct me where I can get information reagarding home schooling?

Thank you

Sorry this is so late! I didn't see your post asking for until today. Every state if different as far as homeschooling laws and they can be EXTREMELY different state to state!! You need to find out what your state requires.
A great site to go to for the info is www.hslda.org. You do not need to be a member of HSLDA to access info on laws. Click on My State. Then click on your actual state. Then under your states name, click on Laws.
ditskid Offline
#59 Posted : Saturday, December 31, 2011 12:50:12 PM(UTC)
ditskid

Groups: Circle Member, Registered
United States

Was thanked: 183 time(s) in 107 post(s)
to the HS Mom in Maryland, if you still check this MB. I have 6 kids, we live in Anne Arundel county and go to public schools, however we try to do interesting educational family trips, especially with all of the local history we have in our area. Over Christmas break, we went to the Baltimore Museum of Industry- not far from Fort McHenry. It was a great place, very interesting, lots of great info on the history of the Baltimore harbor area. Our guide's name was Jack. Since you could probably do this during the week,I think it would be a great learning experience! The Naval Academy is also a very interesting place to visit. Lots of history and learning opportunities!BigGrin
amandaleehoskins3a2a138e Offline
#60 Posted : Wednesday, January 25, 2012 1:45:21 PM(UTC)
amandaleehoskins3a2a138e

Hi all... looks like this forum is slightly outdated. I'm wondering if any of you still check it from time to time. ;) Anyways, I'm a HS mom of four... 6th grade, 3rd grade, 1st grade and preschool. We use our cricket pretty regularly for random hs stuff. We're getting ready to begin lapbooking or interactive journaling using our cricket. Just wondering if any of you would mind sharing a hs project or two that you've used your cricut machinery to create. I'm very interested to see others' ideas! Maybe pick your fav and upload for all of us to check out??? That would be soooo awesome. I'll try to upload one of ours as well. Thanks!