Flag
  • Sign In
  • 0 items
  • Search
Welcome Guest! Please login to enable all features.

Notification

Icon
Error

DanielleDavis5 Offline
#1 Posted : Friday, October 01, 2010 8:38:33 PM(UTC)
DanielleDavis5

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
Hi all,

I am very new to the yudu, my first try at it wasn't very succesful. I think my emulsion wasn't adhered well and my image had thin lines and I think I exposed too long.

I messed up and agreed to make some shirts for a friend trying to save a few dollars now I have a huge project on my hands. I have a couple questions if you don't mind.

First will Yudu inks set well with only heat from an iron? Will a heat press work better?
Also, how well does white Yudu ink work on black T-shirts?

Thanks
my4turtles Offline
#2 Posted : Friday, October 01, 2010 9:14:45 PM(UTC)
my4turtles

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 2 post(s)
First off get used to it before you agree to make things for friends haha ...yes you can use the iron about 3 mins on each side.. I use a towels over the design and iron back and forth for about 3 mins turn the t. shirt inside out and do it agian and so far after about 30 things everything looks fantastic still..

Now the Emulsion...
when you applied it did you Run squeegee over the Emulsion after to get any extra water out? and air bubbles?
DanielleDavis5 Offline
#3 Posted : Saturday, October 02, 2010 6:51:48 PM(UTC)
DanielleDavis5

Yes, indeed! Lesson learned, what started as two or three shirts is now about 20. I'm still a little frightened by this, but determined. With the first project, the image had small lines and even though I re-wet and squeegied the emulsion I don't think it was stuck very well.

Thanks for the tips!
NewfyMom Offline
#4 Posted : Saturday, October 02, 2010 7:11:31 PM(UTC)
NewfyMom

Was thanked: 205 time(s) in 126 post(s)
Hi Danielle,
Check out my FAQs for Newbies. I think you'll find a lot of your questions answered there and we just recently had a "on black" conversation. The short answer is depends on your ink brand you use. Plastisol is a thick, not water soluable ink that has great coverage...but it's not for beginners. Jaquard is opaque but you may want to do more than one pass. Same is true for Yudu ink and Speedball. I would take one shirt as a tester.

Hope everything works out well. Welcome to the Yudu! BigGrin
my4turtles Offline
#5 Posted : Saturday, October 02, 2010 9:04:27 PM(UTC)
my4turtles

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 2 post(s)
I now use permaset surecover white on all black shirts and it works with one cover and is great... i love it and i have washed shirts many times with it and its as good as the first day..
DanielleDavis5 Offline
#6 Posted : Sunday, October 03, 2010 4:42:32 PM(UTC)
DanielleDavis5

Thanks ladies,

So my second first try not too bad. This image was alot simpler than the first and it went off w/o a hitch...well. I thought I'd be smart and rinse the black ink off, but leave the emulsion in case I wanted to use it later, well later that night I decided that the image was too small and I needed to re-do it, well after I took off the emulsion, it left behind the black image faded, but still there. I tried bleaching it out, that didn't work. Is this screen still usable? I hope to post pics soon.

Thanks
NewfyMom Offline
#7 Posted : Sunday, October 03, 2010 9:21:20 PM(UTC)
NewfyMom

Was thanked: 205 time(s) in 126 post(s)
Danielle,
the shadow you see is called haze. Expect to see it. It won't effect you screen at all. If after a lot of uses you need to get rid of it there is haze remover from silkscreen suppliers. I've had my Yudu for a over a year and haven't used it yet. I just keep going over the last image and all is well.
DanielleDavis5 Offline
#8 Posted : Monday, October 04, 2010 6:31:55 PM(UTC)
DanielleDavis5

Good to know, Thanks! :) I'm still struggling with this project. I'm about 50/50 for the shirts. I keep have to go to second passes which causes bleeding and the white Yudu ink on the black shirts didn't work well at all! *sigh*.
Princessaam Offline
#9 Posted : Tuesday, October 05, 2010 9:09:46 AM(UTC)
Princessaam

Was thanked: 289 time(s) in 196 post(s)
White ink is SUPER tricky and there are only a few that work well. There are tricks to making it work after you get the right ink in the first place. Ryonet makes a good one that will cover in one pass or two with a flash dry. If you have any bleeding at all... even with multiple passes... you're pressing too hard! OYu are laying the ink ON the shirt, not IN the shirt.

~M
DanielleDavis5 Offline
#10 Posted : Tuesday, October 05, 2010 9:15:51 AM(UTC)
DanielleDavis5

Princessaam wrote:
OYu are laying the ink ON the shirt, not IN the shirt.

Good point, I did okay with the last designs of the night. I did realize that I was pressing too hard...after two ruined shirts, then I went to pressing too lightly and having to still do double passes. I'd get the fading effect on certain parts.

So would it be safe to say that the flood pass is 70 degrees and the paint pass is 45 degrees? Still playing around with it, hopefully I'll be done tonight and can post pics.

Thanks for all of your help by the way!
Princessaam Offline
#11 Posted : Tuesday, October 05, 2010 2:26:00 PM(UTC)
Princessaam

Was thanked: 289 time(s) in 196 post(s)
I do them both at the same angle. @45.
Also, get a better squeegee. I don't use the one that came with the machine at all. IT bites big time. I bought a Speedball rubber one and its scads better

~M
DanielleDavis5 Offline
#12 Posted : Tuesday, October 05, 2010 6:33:03 PM(UTC)
DanielleDavis5

I bought the rubber Yudu squeegie. I just use the plastic ones to squeegie the emulsion to the screen.:)
~~L*I*N*D*A ^I~N^ C*O*L*O*R*A*D*O~~ Offline
#13 Posted : Sunday, August 18, 2013 5:01:18 AM(UTC)
~~L*I*N*D*A ^I~N^ C*O*L*O*R*A*D*O~~

Was thanked: 78 time(s) in 57 post(s)
Originally Posted by: DanielleDavis5 Go to Quoted Post
I bought the rubber Yudu squeegie. I just use the plastic ones to squeegie the emulsion to the screen.:)

I've upgraded my squeegee's to some professional after-market ones (can't recally the name).
I like your suggestion to use the plastic once for emulsion. I also front-loaded on the glitter glue. I'm so excited to use THAT. I think I'll try the plastic ones for that too.
TFS