Flag
  • Sign In
  • 0 items
  • Search
Welcome Guest! Please login to enable all features.

Notification

Icon
Error

2 Pages12>
Nancy J. Offline
#1 Posted : Sunday, February 19, 2012 8:49:18 PM(UTC)
Nancy J.

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 113 time(s) in 71 post(s)
Help... I am new to cricut and want to know more.. I would love to know why I should buy the design studio and how is it different then the craft room... thanks inadvance.
 1 user thanked Nancy J. for this useful post.
smitchell123162646b278a on 3/5/2014(UTC)
Narelle Offline
#2 Posted : Sunday, February 19, 2012 9:36:31 PM(UTC)
Narelle

Medals: Cricut Circle Member: Member of the Cricut Circle

Groups: Circle Member, Registered
Australia

Was thanked: 7568 time(s) in 3532 post(s)
Here's some information I have recently sent to some other new members of our messageboard. Hope it helps. Smile

Cricut Design Studio (DS) was PC's first design software. It works with all the Cricuts except the E2, Imagine and Cricut Mini. It works fine (I have been using it quite happily since it was released in 2007.) It does have a few limitations - there's no true grouping feature and as I said it can't be used with the newer Cricut Models. It isn't Mac compatible and the program itself isn't being updated anymore. It is what it is. :)

The new carts are still being added each month but there is no word on how long PC will continue that. DS is getting quite difficult to find these days, especially for a good price. (I did just see that's it's available again at Cricut.com for $59.99.)

Rather than do a full recode of Design Studio, PC created a totally new program - Cricut Craft Room (CCR). And they made it free!

It does nearly everything that DS can do, plus more that DS can't. I find myself going straight to CCR instead of DS these days.

You need to be online to use CCR which I find the only negative. But as I rarely craft away from home that's not a problem for me. And now that I have discovered that I can use my iPhone as a Wi-Fi hotspot I'll probably make use of that if I'm at a workshop or crop etc.

If however the PC servers are down then we are out of luck and it's back to DS I go! (I rarely use my Cricut without either CCR or DS).

CCR works with all the Cricut models.

Neither software allows you to import other graphic files eg. SVG files and cut on your Cricut. Both are strictly cartridge based. You can design with any cartridge in the Cricut library. You will need to own the actual carts used in your design to cut your project.

CCR has exclusive cartridges that you can purchase through the program. These carts can be used with CCR and also can be linked to a Cricut Gypsy if you have one. (Then if CCR is down you can use the Gypsy to design and cut with those carts).

You can link your cartridges to your Cricut.com account through CCR. Those carts then also become available on your Gypsy. Linking is not compulsory with CCR (whereas it is with the Gypsy.) If you don't wish to link your carts CCR will prompt you to insert the carts in the design into your Cricut before it cuts. Once a cart is linked to your account it cannot be unlinked. Also, once a cart has been linked to your account it cannot be linked to another CCR account.

If you have an E2, CCR allows you to cut from the E2 internal cartridges, whereas DS does not.

Please let me know if you need any more info! Smile

Edited by user Sunday, February 19, 2012 11:16:01 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

1 user thanked Narelle for this useful post.
Dee Bishop on 3/28/2013(UTC)
Nancy J. Offline
#3 Posted : Sunday, February 19, 2012 10:02:07 PM(UTC)
Nancy J.

Was thanked: 113 time(s) in 71 post(s)
Thanks so very much.. you answered my question... I will just stay with CCR... since I never used the other and it sounds as if it is on it's way out somewhat. I like the craft room...
 1 user thanked Nancy J. for this useful post.
Narelle on 2/19/2012(UTC)
KaronH Offline
#4 Posted : Monday, February 20, 2012 4:17:16 PM(UTC)
KaronH

Canada

Was thanked: 717 time(s) in 473 post(s)
Narelle - I have a query as I was thinking of buying DS. I love CCR by the way.

"It does nearly everything that DS can do, plus more that DS can't. I find myself going straight to CCR instead of DS these days."

The reason I was thinking of buying DS is that you can make larger decals by allowing the design to sit over the edge of the mat and it will only cut whats on the mat, you know - like piecing together a large project like someone did a tree in nursery. Is this the case or can CCR do this?

Thanks

Karon
Narelle Offline
#5 Posted : Monday, February 20, 2012 4:35:45 PM(UTC)
Narelle

Australia

Originally Posted by: KaronH Go to Quoted Post
Narelle - I have a query as I was thinking of buying DS. I love CCR by the way.

"It does nearly everything that DS can do, plus more that DS can't. I find myself going straight to CCR instead of DS these days."

The reason I was thinking of buying DS is that you can make larger decals by allowing the design to sit over the edge of the mat and it will only cut whats on the mat, you know - like piecing together a large project like someone did a tree in nursery. Is this the case or can CCR do this?

Thanks

Karon

That's the one thing that I have found that DS can do that CCR can't. (Hence the "it does nearly everything that DS can do...") BigGrin

I love that feature in DS and so wish CCR could do it too. Hopefully in a future update. Smile

DS is pretty hard to find (at an el-cheapo price) these days. But I was happy to see that cricut.com has it back in stock @ $59.99 I think.

If you want to have a play with DS to see if you like it you can download the trial version from http://www.cricut.com/cds/Update.aspx

Be aware - DS isn't compatible with the E2, the Imagine or the Cricut Mini. It does work with the Personal, Create and Expression and both cake machines.

With the trial version you'll be able to cut with the standard cart/s that came with the Cricut - George & Basic Shapes for the Personal, Don Juan for the Create and Accent Essentials and Plantin Schoolbook for the Expression.

KaronH Offline
#6 Posted : Tuesday, February 21, 2012 4:20:56 AM(UTC)
KaronH

Canada

Was thanked: 717 time(s) in 473 post(s)
Thanks for that great reply - any chance that the gods that be may add the "hanging" off the mat feature to CCR!! Can you put a good word in for us lowly lotBigGrin
Narelle Offline
#7 Posted : Tuesday, February 21, 2012 4:46:02 AM(UTC)
Narelle

Australia

Originally Posted by: KaronH Go to Quoted Post
Thanks for that great reply - any chance that the gods that be may add the "hanging" off the mat feature to CCR!! Can you put a good word in for us lowly lotBigGrin

Oh Karon, I'm no higher in the pecking order than anyone else on the board. Smile

It's definitely worth using the Feedback option though and asking for it. I certainly have! Smile
 1 user thanked Narelle for this useful post.
KaronH on 2/21/2012(UTC)
Rosy Offline
#8 Posted : Tuesday, February 28, 2012 1:08:42 PM(UTC)
Rosy

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
are you able to use the juke-box with CCR?
anton.tonchevacd6d31d Offline
#9 Posted : Tuesday, February 28, 2012 4:47:12 PM(UTC)
anton.tonchevacd6d31d

Can I import some kind of vector based pictures like .pna or .cdr?
Narelle Offline
#10 Posted : Tuesday, February 28, 2012 4:51:06 PM(UTC)
Narelle

Australia

Originally Posted by: Rosy Go to Quoted Post
are you able to use the juke-box with CCR?

Yes. But it's finicky! You will need to press the correct button on the jukebox when you get the "Wrong Cartridge" message. And you may need to remove the cart from its slot and reinsert it. As I said, it finicky. Smile

But as I'm typing this I am cutting from 6 cartridges in my Jukebox using CCR.
Narelle Offline
#11 Posted : Tuesday, February 28, 2012 4:52:42 PM(UTC)
Narelle

Australia

Originally Posted by: anton.tonchevacd6d31d Go to Quoted Post
Can I import some kind of vector based pictures like .pna or .cdr?

No. CCR (and DS and the Gypsy) will only cut artwork from the Cricut cartridges.
stephc111b40eb8ab Offline
#12 Posted : Thursday, March 08, 2012 9:52:41 AM(UTC)
stephc111b40eb8ab

To further the request, is there anyway at all that you can get software that will allow you to create your own cuts? i can create vector based graphics in Illustrator so is there a way i can convert/get them onto the Cricut?

Also when you say using CCR you have to own the cartride, does that mean i cannot borrow from a friend to cut something then give it back to them? Because once i use it it will register it to my account?
MaryStillman Offline
#13 Posted : Thursday, March 08, 2012 6:06:44 PM(UTC)
MaryStillman

Groups: Registered, Circle Member

Was thanked: 1208 time(s) in 761 post(s)
Steph, you can no longer purchase 3rd party software that works with the Cricut. Provo Craft sued one of the 3rd party softwares and the rest stopped selling it. PC is again sueing the 3rd party software. So, I don't see that it is in the future that 3rd party software will be available.

On a bit of good news, the courts did rule that jailbreaking of the Apple IPhone was legal. This may impact the future for Cricut and 3rd party software, but I would not count on it.

Mary

Narelle Offline
#14 Posted : Tuesday, March 13, 2012 2:32:43 AM(UTC)
Narelle

Australia

Originally Posted by: stephc111b40eb8ab Go to Quoted Post
To further the request, is there anyway at all that you can get software that will allow you to create your own cuts? i can create vector based graphics in Illustrator so is there a way i can convert/get them onto the Cricut?

Also when you say using CCR you have to own the cartride, does that mean i cannot borrow from a friend to cut something then give it back to them? Because once i use it it will register it to my account?

If you borrow a cartridge from a friend, you will still be able to use it in CCR by inserting it into the Cricut when prompted. If the cart hasn't been linked you will see a Link option. As it's a borrowed cart you would skip that process and just allow the project to cut without linking. (At least if you were my friend that's what I'd hope you would do.) BigGrin
smarler71af8624 Offline
#15 Posted : Saturday, March 17, 2012 12:25:43 PM(UTC)
smarler71af8624

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Crying is sad to read that DS can not be used w/ my E2. Does any1 know if cricut has plans to update this to use w/ every machine? I use the CCR and love it I am new to all the cricut stuff. I started w/ a cake mini less than 2 weeks ago to do my daughters 4th bday cake. I fell in love with everything you could do. Hence I bought the Expression 2, and now I am wondering if I should have went with the imagaine. I know it prints I was just curious as to how difficult this machine is to run. I have turned in my order to my husband that I want 1 for our 1st anni... Can any1 give me a lil more info. Sorry to throw so much on here and bounce around. Like I said I am new and this has opened a whole world of crafts that I am lovin... Thank You
apinkladybug622b0e25 Offline
#16 Posted : Tuesday, October 09, 2012 12:05:24 PM(UTC)
apinkladybug622b0e25

I am also new to this. I really want to use some cut files (.svg) what do you recommend I use for this? Or is it impossible with the cricut?
scrapalette Offline
#17 Posted : Tuesday, October 09, 2012 12:53:48 PM(UTC)
scrapalette

United States

Was thanked: 18403 time(s) in 8177 post(s)
Originally Posted by: apinkladybug622b0e25 Go to Quoted Post
I am also new to this. I really want to use some cut files (.svg) what do you recommend I use for this? Or is it impossible with the cricut?

You can only use .ccr {files created in Cricut Craft Room}, .cut {files created in Design Studio} and .gypsy files [files created with a Gypsy} with a Cricut. You can convert most files between the Cricut design programs to another, but not 3rd party programs or files.
TammyPuckett Offline
#18 Posted : Tuesday, October 09, 2012 12:57:56 PM(UTC)
TammyPuckett

Was thanked: 319 time(s) in 181 post(s)
Design Studio is a far superior product than the CCR!!!!!! The only thing with it is that it will only work with the Expression, Baby Bug & I think the Cake. If PC was smart, they would revamp that program to work with the E2, Imagine & Mini! Far better product than CCR!
scrapalette Offline
#19 Posted : Tuesday, October 09, 2012 1:14:21 PM(UTC)
scrapalette

United States

PC did revamp Design Studio. . .it's called CCR! Huh

I was a die hard DS user/lover, never really got into designing on my gypsy and was reluctant when CCR was introduced. But, after playing with the program when it was released, I fell in love and linked all my carts through CCR.

Main advantages of CCR, as I see them:

1} linking carts and not having to insert them to cut, not an option with DS
2} Add Text feature which lets you type a word, choose a Cricut font and see it on the mat, want to check a different font, choose the font and the word changes to that font, not an option in DS. As matter of fact, you have to add each letter to the mat from the keypad in DS and then line them all up.
3} true Group feature, only a modified grouping in DS
4} hiding lines in an image and having them stay hidden allowing you to copy and paste the modified image, you can hide lines in DS but when you copy the image, the unwanted lines have to be re-hidden and some don't stay hidden when you SAVE the file so you have to re-hide them each time you cut
5} welding in CCR is simple. . .as soon as two images touch, they weld or you have the option to Not Weld them, in DS you have to check a preview and make sure the images welded and if you move a group of welded images, you have to re-weld them
6} CCR is free and immediately updated with new carts by PC, with DS you have to wait for an update to be released, download it to your computer and run it to update the program
 1 user thanked scrapalette for this useful post.
JoyceG on 5/21/2013(UTC)
planlady19 Offline
#20 Posted : Tuesday, October 09, 2012 1:40:50 PM(UTC)
planlady19

United States

Was thanked: 269 time(s) in 252 post(s)
I have a question for those of you using CCR. I have been using it but have not been able to figure out the hide and contour feature? I used DS to make a lot of stencils using Plantin Schoolbook endcap feature..

How can I do this in CCR? everytime I try i can not hide the cut lines above the letters..

thanks
Terri
scrapalette Offline
#21 Posted : Tuesday, October 09, 2012 2:12:41 PM(UTC)
scrapalette

United States

CCR will not hide detail lines but you can weld another shape, making sure it is touching the edge of the main image, over the line you want hidden and it will become part of the welded image. That is, unless it is only a part of the main image.

I haven't used the end cap feature in CCR, but can take a look at it later tonight.
mathiemama403a5402 Offline
#22 Posted : Tuesday, March 26, 2013 7:08:45 PM(UTC)
mathiemama403a5402

Did anyone figure out how to take those lines off. I do this all the time with Plantin Schoolbook and I went to cut out a whole banner I did and they cut the lines too. I am really bummed if I can't hid those lines since I could do it in DS.
CricutGena Offline
#23 Posted : Tuesday, March 26, 2013 7:38:05 PM(UTC)
CricutGena

Groups: Registered, Circle Member, Circle Moderator, Cricut Community Moderator

Was thanked: 953 time(s) in 299 post(s)
Originally Posted by: mathiemama403a5402 Go to Quoted Post
Did anyone figure out how to take those lines off. I do this all the time with Plantin Schoolbook and I went to cut out a whole banner I did and they cut the lines too. I am really bummed if I can't hid those lines since I could do it in DS.

Hello, you can hide contour in Craft Room just like you can in Design Studio. It is much easier as well. Just click the hide contour box and highlight the lines you want to delete. The go back to the mat and they will be gone! Hope this helps!

-Cricut Gena
mathiemama403a5402 Offline
#24 Posted : Wednesday, March 27, 2013 10:47:59 AM(UTC)
mathiemama403a5402

I know how to hide things in CCR but for some reason when you got in to hide contors the lines on the top or the bottom for the endcap option on this card do not show up.
Narelle Offline
#25 Posted : Wednesday, March 27, 2013 1:16:17 PM(UTC)
Narelle

Australia

Originally Posted by: mathiemama403a5402 Go to Quoted Post
I know how to hide things in CCR but for some reason when you got in to hide contors the lines on the top or the bottom for the endcap option on this card do not show up.

CCR for whatever reason doesn't see those lines (the end caps) therefore they can't be hidden.
TammyPuckett Offline
#26 Posted : Wednesday, March 27, 2013 5:58:48 PM(UTC)
TammyPuckett

Was thanked: 319 time(s) in 181 post(s)
I personally like the DS better than the CCR! DS has always been a dependable program where the CCR has not been. As an Imagine owner, there was a period of time that the CCR would not work with the Imagine & I wish the DS would work with my Imagine. I also do not like the fact that I have to be connected to the internet to do what I want to do. There are times my hubby wants the computer while I am scrapping & I am dead in the water with the CCR. I feel that PC is leaving those of us out who have DS & a machine that functions with DS out by not updating it for us to incorporate the newer cartridges. I have been to several crops too that there was no internet connection & I would not be able to use CCR. I prefer my Gypsy overall, but PC has phased it out, so if mine ever dies, I am up that famous creek as all of my cartridges are linked to it & they are few & far between to find.
 1 user thanked TammyPuckett for this useful post.
BJR on 7/1/2013(UTC)
mcnuttfamily7b83ea78 Offline
#27 Posted : Monday, May 20, 2013 5:40:52 PM(UTC)
mcnuttfamily7b83ea78

Once a Cart is linked to CCD can you unlink it?
MaryStillman Offline
#28 Posted : Monday, May 20, 2013 6:09:32 PM(UTC)
MaryStillman

Was thanked: 1208 time(s) in 761 post(s)
Originally Posted by: mcnuttfamily7b83ea78 Go to Quoted Post
Once a Cart is linked to CCD can you unlink it?

You cannot unlink cartridges.

Mary
ScrappinNanaK Offline
#29 Posted : Tuesday, May 21, 2013 6:15:16 PM(UTC)
ScrappinNanaK

Was thanked: 386 time(s) in 194 post(s)
I wish PC would let us use CCR offline for people that dont have access to the internet and those who could possibly in the future not have access to the Internet. Does anyone know if that will ever happen as I love CCR. I have the E2 so I know it will not work with DS. I know I can hook up my gypsy to my E2 and cut from it but its not the same as CCR, and My eyes are not what they used to be using the gypsy as much as I used to. Thanks
Narelle Offline
#30 Posted : Tuesday, May 21, 2013 6:23:49 PM(UTC)
Narelle

Australia

Originally Posted by: soarineagle_98 Go to Quoted Post
I wish PC would let us use CCR offline for people that dont have access to the internet and those who could possibly in the future not have access to the Internet. Does anyone know if that will ever happen as I love CCR. I have the E2 so I know it will not work with DS. I know I can hook up my gypsy to my E2 and cut from it but its not the same as CCR, and My eyes are not what they used to be using the gypsy as much as I used to. Thanks

I'd love to see a non Internet version of CCR too. All we can do is keep requesting it. You can use the Feedback option in CCR. And/or you can use the form at this link: http://www.provocraft.com/submit.idea.php